4.04.2007

Skillet Frittata

Monday night, Sara stopped by after doing a catering job for my boss. Seeing as how she scored me brownie points - my boss said she was "perfect" - for being able to help her out on such short notice, the least I could do was offer Sara a couch for the night and breakfast for the morning. And I did the least: she came in around midnight, and I promptly went to bed. I am such a lousy hostess.
But the frittata I left for breakfast went over well. Normally, I'd do quiche, seeing as how we both love it. But frittata works much better when you have a lot of eggs, no milk, and vegetables. I had some frozen spinach I just subbed for fresh, either of which you could throw in as you please, but also had some sauteed fresh zucchini I was going to take for lunches and ended up not liking. I have come to the conclusion that almost any leftover vegetable in the refrigerator may be saved by going into quiche or fried rice, and with a little bit more salt to counteract a bitter note and some nutmeg, it ended up on the end of really quite good. This was my first frittata experiment, which I like a lot better than traditional rolled omelets because I don't have to roll it, and the filling is more dispersed so it doesn't have those annoying 'eggy' spots.
I've been reheating leftovers in the morning in the microwave, which suits me well enough. It's a good breakfast/brunch dish (which you could make better-for-you with egg substitute or more veggies), but it could very easily make the transition to the dinner table or fancy-schmancy appetizer parties.

ZUCCHINI AND SPINACH SKILLET FRITTATA
adapted from Joy of Cooking

2 Tbsp olive oil (may need more if skillet is not nonstick)
1 small to medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 lb zucchini, thinly sliced
1 c frozen chopped baby spinach
salt and pepper
5 eggs
pinch of nutmeg
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 c reduced fat grated Parmesan cheese (yup, the kind in a shaker jar)
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley

In an ovenproof skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until golden brown. Add the zucchini and cook until lightly browned, about five-seven minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the frozen spinach and stir until warmed through. Remove to a strainer to drain and let cool. Do not wash the skillet.
Whisk the eggs with a tiny pinch of salt, a pinch of nutmeg and the red pepper flakes. Add the cooled vegetable mixture and mix with a fork gently. Add in the cheese, basil and parsley and mix to combine.
Preheat the oven to 350 F or preheat the broiler.
In the same skillet used to cook the vegetables, heat the remaining Tbsp olive oil and tilt the pan to coat the bottom and a bit of the sides. When hot, pour in the egg mixture. Reduce the heat and cook until the bottom is set. Place under the broiler for 30 to 60 seconds to set the top or place in a 350 F oven for about 12 minutes until cooked through. Loosen the frittata with a spatula and slide onto a plate.

3 Comments:

Blogger Peabody said...

Oh how I wish my husband would eat zucchini...it looks so good.

12:28 AM  
Blogger melinda said...

I will be having this for dinner sometime this week - i will even stop by the grocery store to buy a zucchini because it looks so good and i don't want to substitute something else.

10:54 AM  
Blogger emily said...

Peabody - you never know. I'm not all that big a zucchini fan, and I really enjoyed this one.

Min - supereasy recipe, and I think it is worthwhile to get the zucchini for this . . . although my egg dishes are usually made with whatever leftover vegs are around, and I think you could sub in anything on hand for an equally tasty dish. Enjoy!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home