10.26.2006

Buttermilk, and Thursday night baking

Buttermilk always seems to linger in my fridge - I've heard it stays good for quite some time, so I'm not all that worried, but even so I wanted to find something more for it than just pie crust. And I am easily swayed by vanilla, which is so much more than the plain-jane the name can connote.
This cornbread scores points for ease, quick assembly, and no weird substitutions or trips to the grocery store to make. There's something about it though that keeps me from being overly enthused . . . I've certainly had sweeter cornbreads, so it's not that. It's just rather moist, and I think I'm used to a bit drier cornbread. Mine also has a very smooth texture due to using fine cornmeal, but it gives it a very nice crumb. It does also have an excellent crust, with a bit of crunch on the bottom and around the sides, and the top is firmer. I'm thinking sliced and toasted might be the way to go.
Overall though, I love the vanilla scent and the idea of using vanilla for a savory pairing. Recent googling has come up with a beautiful and informative listing of make-your-own vanilla _____ at Confessions of a Cardamom Addict, and I know I'm going to be referring to it often - vanilla oil and vanilla salt have me highly intrigued.

LA BETH'S VANILLA CORNBREAD
from Vanilla.com by way of the Food Network

1 c yellow cornmeal
1 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 c buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and soda.
In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients. Pour the melted butter over the top of the batter. Stir just until all ingredients are moistened and thoroughly blended.
Pour the batter in a greased 8x8 Pyrex baking dish.
Bake in the 350 oven 40-45 minutes, or until golden around the edges and a tester in the center comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love baking with buttermilk. The texture of that cake looks gorgeous!

7:02 PM  
Blogger jasmine said...

Hi Emily

Right now I have 3/4 litre of buttermilk in the fridge. It usually gets used up in muffins.

Glad you like the vanilla posts. It's my 2006 kitchen theme :)

j

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vanilla and cornbread...interesting...I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the idea.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home