12.13.2006

Retro Recipe: Scarlett O'Hara

A Scarlett O'Hara, according to legend, was created in 1939 as a tie-in or tribute for Gone With The Wind, and the first drink created for that purpose. (There is also a site I found that suggests it may actually have been more like the 1950s, and for promoting cran juice instead of the movie, but this is less interesting and so I'm ignoring it.) This was the first time I'd learned of the drink, but I was instantly captivated by the name and the playful use of Southern Comfort.
This month's Retro Recipe Challenge is Boozy Holiday. I've determined that a Scarlett in hand is perfect for the holidays - with it you can conjure up Scarlett's willful selfishness and wonderful denial of reality: "
I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow." If it's been quite the distressing day you may start to channel your inner Rhett Butler: "I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." And of course, it gives you license to say quite freely, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" to almost anything - and (feel like you can) get away with it. All very good mantras to get you through.
My first attempt at a Scarlett came from Webtender (1.5 oz each Southern Comfort and cranberry juice, 1 oz lime juice), which turned out to be wayyy too limey for my taste - and I like lime. I evened mine out with just a touch more of SoCo and filled the glass with cranberry juice, which seemed to make an admirable drink, but you can also check here and here for other suggested proportions. I also made mine with light cranberry juice already lurking around in the fridge, and it amuses me to dub it a Scarlett O'Hara in a Corset.
Classy-sounding and classic, suitably retro, somewhat scarlet, and boozy-sweet with a tart kick going down, I highly recommend it.

Tag: RRC 5

2 Comments:

Blogger melinda said...

hahah! i'm soooo buying soco for my party now! woo woo, we shall be drinking scarlett o'hara's in a corset :)

9:02 AM  
Blogger Ziz said...

mmmm :O)

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home