8.16.2006

Best. Marinade. Ever. Or at least my favorite.

I've written previously about the dangers of grocery shopping sales as a single girl, and despite all sorts of attempts I'm still making a valiant effort to use up the ginormous amount of pork that is in my freezer. I think there's only one package left to go now. I am so superexcited to see what next week's circulars will hold so I can stock up . . . kidding. Kind of.
Luckily, I have the world's most awesome marinade (or at least I think so) that will make even the umpteenth meal of pork delectable. I really, really like it with pork tenderloins, but cooked in the oven with the loin starts the marinade into a sort of sauce for the pork slices. This, I have learned, is completely key when you cook a pound of anything all at once to be consumed in lots of leftovers throughout the week.
I'm also currently addicted to this orange muscat champagne vinegar I found at Trader Joe's. It is completely obnoxious to type out its name, but it deserves the full title even as pompous as it sounds. It's kind of sweet, kind of orange-y, definitely vinegar, and this beautiful pale sunrise color that just makes me want to put it in absolutely everything that could call for a touch of vinegar. The marinade doesn't need it, I've made it times before without, but I do kind of like how it mixes with the onion for the sauce.

PORK WITH WHITE WINE MARINADE/SAUCE
adapted from the all-new Joy of Cooking

1/4 c white wine (whatever you've got lying around will do)
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/2 large Vidalia onion, finely chopped
~ 1/4 tsp each of whatever herbs you feel like throwing in (I like thyme best, but savory, marjoram and tarragon all work, plus a bit of parsley and basil)
1/4 tsp salt
generous grinding black pepper
1 Tbsp orange muscat champagne vinegar (optional)
1 lb pork loin
1/4 c chicken broth

Mix together the wine, oil, onion, herbs, salt and pepper and vinegar well. Let stand at room temperature one hour before using. Whisk together well again.
Place the pork loin, well-trimmed, into a large Ziploc bag. Pour the marinade over the pork. Press the air out of the bag and seal. Marinade the pork in the refrigerator for at least an hour, preferably more.
Preheat the oven to 450 F. Place the pork in an ovenproof skillet (about 10 inches should do) and pour the marinade over the pork. Use a spoon to position some of the onions directly on the loin. Roast the loin at 450 for about 10 minutes. Turn the oven down to 250 F and roast for an additional 15-20 minutes. Remove the pork to a warm platter to rest.
Place the skillet with the marinade over medium heat and add the chicken broth. Gently scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits. Bring the marinade to a boil and let boil for 2-3 minutes or until it thickens. Slice the pork and serve with the white wine sauce spooned over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home