1.18.2007

I Dream of Quiches

Tasty things come in small packages.

Sara and I made quiche this past weekend, and although I had it for breakfast three days straight, I could not get it out of my head. We went overboard with the veggies, so much so that we had it to split the filling among two crusts, and it came out just the way I like eggs: combined with so much other good stuff you barely notice them. But even all the other things - zucchini? Normally I don't even like zucchini. But nestled in there with a tangle of spinach and othher vegs, it was perfect.
Too perfect. I sent Sara home with the other quiche in an effort to restrain myself, but all for naught. I came home from work in the kind of mood that only cooking cures, got out my too-cute-for-words mini pie pans, the eggs and our leftover vegetables (sadly, all the zucchini went), and got on with it.
Not half an hour later, I had four tasty small packages and breakfast for the next few days. Better yet - the crustless version means it's virtuous (right? right?) and ridiculously easy. Sara, I owe you one for the inspiration.

CRUSTLESS VEGGIE AND MOZZARELLA MINI-QUICHES

3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 c 2% milk, room temperature
3 oz reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (the string cheese kind comes in 1-oz portions)
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 red pepper
1/4 red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 ripe tomato, thinly sliced
salt
white pepper
2 tsp italian seasoning blend
nonstick cook spray

Preheat the oven to 400 F. Set four miniature pie pans on a baking sheet and spray each pan lightly with nonstick cook spray.
Finely dice the pepper and onion and mince the garlic. Place in a small nonstick skillet over low heat and cook for about five to seven minutes or until beginning to soften. Season with salt and white pepper to taste and the 2 tsp italian seasoning. Cook for one minute more, then remove from heat to cool.
Shred the mozzarella and toss in a small bowl with the flour.
In a large measuring cup, whisk together the eggs and milk. When the vegetables have cooled, gently add to the egg mixture and stir. Stir in the cheese-flour mixture. Stir well as you divide the quiche mixture among the four prepared pans evenly. Slip one tomato slice under the surface of each quiche until just covered with egg and top with another slice.
Bake the quiches at 400 F for about fifteen minutes, or until set. Let cool in the pans at least ten minutes. Gently slide a small spatula around the sides of the pie pans and slide onto a plate. Yields 4.

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura Rebecca said...

I don't think I'll be able to get those out of my head either! They look fantastic -- I'm going to try them soon.

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are absolutely gorgeous and would be wonderful for me to take to work for lunch! One question, what kind of pans did you use to make them?

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look great....quiche is just the best.

3:57 AM  
Blogger emily said...

Thanks all!
Ellie - and anyone else - these are just 3-inch nonstick miniature pie pans that I picked up cheap somewheres. Ramekins or probably even standard muffin cups would work also; just spray them well. Happy cooking!

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home