8.27.2006

Lunchbox: Turkey Calzones

Ground turkey is fantastic. It's cheap, it's lean, it's protein. But there are perpetually two problems I have with it. One is the fact that when I think ground meat, I think: loaf, chili, balls, or burgers, and then I'm fairly stymied as to what other form you could put it in. The second problem is that turkey seems dry, although I think this is more or less based upon one unfortunate turkey burger recipe I got growing up and I really shouldn't generalize, as I had some luck with it recently.
There are, in my opinion, some really awful endless variations in an attempt to make the four possibilities more interesting and appetizing. However, this recipe was just different enough to give it a spin, and I'll have you know the lunchbox this week is attracting co-worker envy.

TURKEY CALZONES
adapted from eatturkey.com

1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
~ 1/2 lb ground lean turkey
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella
1 tsp each dried oregano, parsely, and basil
3/4 tsp salt
fresh ground black pepper
1 3/4 lbs pizza dough
egg wash, made with 1 large egg and 1 Tbsp water

Preheat the oven to 450 F. In a skillet, saute the onion in the olive oil until beginning to soften, about five minutes. Add the ground turkey and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook the turkey through and drain.
Transfer the onion and turkey into a large bowl. Add the tomatooes, herbs, and seasonings and combine well. Once cooled a bit, add in the mozzarella cheese and stir well.
On a large surface sprinkled with flour (I used a silicone pastry mat) divide the pizza dough into balls of about 3 1/2 - 4 oz. Roll or stretch and pat each ball into a 6-inch round.
Place about 3 heaped Tbsp or so turkey filling in the middle of each round. Fold in half so the filling is covered. Seal the edges, then fold over and pinch closed again (the filling wants to leak out). Brush the tops of each calzone with some egg wash and arrange on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with marinara sauce on the side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home