1.31.2007

Onion Soup

I made this last Thurs for a Friday night dinner with broiled steak and twice-baked potatoes with goat cheese (bit of an indulgent meal to start the weekend off right). I've been wanting onion soup for quite some time and was inordinately pleased with this as a first effort. Credit goes to Rob for the crowning touch, though. When he was on business in Italy, a ginormous hunk of real Parmesan came across his way and has since found itself in my refrigerator after I begged him to save me the rinds so I could make minestrone later on. When I mentioned Friday's proposed menu he asked if this was the reason I wanted the rinds. It hadn't been, but what a brilliant suggestion. After sitting for a day and reheated slowly with a chunk of Parmesan rind, the soup was incredible and umami-rich. It's a slight annoyance letting the onions caramelize, but rewarding in the end. You want to make this.

ONION SOUP
adapted from Gourmet, December 2006

roughly 2 lbs onions, thinly sliced (plain yellow worked wonderfully)
1 large bay leaf
3 sprigs of thyme (optional - I didn't use them, but would have had I been able to get them)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 stick butter
2 tsp flour
3/4 c red wine (I used a good Merlot)
4 c good-quality low sodium beef broth
1 c low sodium chicken broth
1/2 c water
grinding black pepper
1 heaping tsp Dijon mustard
2-3 tsp balsamic vinegar
2x1-inch piece Parmesan rind (not waxy)

In a 4-5 qt Dutch oven or similar heavy pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onions, bay leaf, (thyme sprigs) and salt and toss gently to combine. Cook slowly over medium to medium-low heat, stirring frequently, leaving the pot uncovered, until onions are very soft and a deep golden brown, about 45 minutes.
Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broths, water, pepper, mustard, vinegar and Parmesan rind and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Serve hot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Onion soup is the best...I love the addition of your cheese rinds.

6:52 PM  
Blogger jasmine said...

Emily--this looks amazing. I'll bookmark this to try later...
j

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home